Meshakhte Sanatorium

15 Meshakhte Sanatorium

address: Rustaveli Street 13 
architects: G.M. Khimshiashvili, G.M. Melegi
project: 1952
construction: 1952
reconstruction: 1987-1989
capacity: 350
current state: abandoned

The impressive building of Sanatorium Meshakhte is located in the central part of the city, north of Shota Rustaveli circular street, in the area between Kolkheti and 26 May squares. It was completed in 1952. Initially, the sanatorium was designed for 250 beds, but as a result of later reconstruction works, this number increased to 350. Today, the building has a private owner, it is empty and the territory of the sanatorium is closed to visitors. When the building was actively functioning, it was well integrated into the urban environment. Visitors could reach the central part of the building from the alley on the side of Rustaveli Street via two bridges over the river channel. It was also possible to enter the yard from other sides, including with parade gates arranged on the sides of L. Avaliani and O. Ioseliani streets.

The sanatorium was constructed according to the project of G. Khimshiashvili and G. Melegi. The four-floor building has a symmetrical plan. It consists of a longitudinal central block and two relatively short wings connected to it at the edges. In the center of the building, there is a massive, sharply protruding central entrance, which is situated at the level of the second floor. It is possible to get here by symmetrically distributed stairs and ramps. The façade of the first two floors of the building is divided by rectangular and arched openings. The façade of the other two floors is created by the continuous rhythm of arches raised to the height of these two floors. In this part of the building, the openings of windows and balconies are recessed into the depth of the façade plane. The sanatorium is decorated with ornamental motifs characteristic of Georgian ecclesiastical architecture. The eastern wing of the building ends with a tower. At the beginning of the operation, there was a clinic equipped with medical and diagnostic offices, various laboratories, a 300-seat concert hall and a library.